What are CBD gummies? Do CBD gummies get you high? What to CBD gummies do? These are just three of the many questions we received from our readers about “CBD Gummies.” To help, Healthroid brings together experts from all over the world to talk to you and answer any questions you have on the CBD Gummies.
And, here’s what they said:
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of more than 110+ different phytocannabinoids found within the plant Cannabis Sativa (this includes hemp and marijuana), Jonny Lisano, Director of Research, 6° Wellness, explains to Healthroid.
“Unlike its relative THC, due to the structure of the CBD molecule, it is unable to activate receptors in the brain that produce the marque intoxicating effects of THC. Thus, CBD is not termed to be intoxicating; however, there are different receptors located throughout the body (mostly outside of the brain and spinal cord) that are responsive to CBD. Including but not limited to immune cells, muscle, and other organs. And it is for this very reason that it has been observed to produce a variety of effects”, Jonny adds.
According to Dr. Dimitar Marinov from Muscle and Brawn, unlike THC, CBD is non-psychoactive. This means that CBD doesn’t cause the “high” experienced from THC. “Phytocannabinoids interact with a biological system in the human body called the endogenic cannabinoid system (ECS). This system regulates many processed including nerve mediators in the brain and immune cell function. CBD triggers the CB-2 receptors which are found mainly in immune cells, but also various organs such as the brain and the gut”, Marinov adds.
What are CBD Gummies?
CBD gummies are a form of cannabidiol (CBD) edibles. These are foods containing the therapeutic compound CBD, which comes from the marijuana plant. Some common reasons for taking CBD include pain management and relief from anxiety or depression, Jamie Hickey, Personal trainer/Nutritionist, Truism Fitness, explains to Healthroid.
According to Stephanie, a cannabis retailer, Puffland, “regardless of what you’re taking CBD gummies for, you’re going to have tons of choices at your fingertips: sugar-free, vegan, regular gummies, sour worms, peach rings, Mota gummies. There surely is something you will like if you love gummies.”
What are the Types of CBD?
Romas Marcinkevicius, from GoGreen Hemp, describes the type of CBD very well. According to Romas, typically, there are 3 types of CBD:
1. Isolate CBD:
Hemp-derived CBD isolate is cannabinoids in its purest form possible. CBD isolates are made by isolating CBD and then refining it to a high potent single compound product. This results in an almost pure dose of CBD. CBD isolates are mostly found in a crystalline form. A pure dose sounds amazing, but isolate CBD misses out on the benefits that the other plant compounds provide. Isolate CBD can become an issue when it comes to dosing. With the other cannabinoids not present to balance it out, pure CBD has a much more narrow therapeutic window. In other words, the dosage must be specific to get the desired effect. Broad Spectrum CBD does not have this issue as it has a wide therapeutic window due to the other cannabinoids present.
2. Full Spectrum CBD:
Referred to as whole plant CBD, contains everything that naturally occurs within the hemp plant. All of the plant parts include terpenes, flavonoids, phytocannabinoids (CBD, THC (trace amounts – 0.3%), CBN, CBG, THCA, CBDA, plus..), vitamins, amino acids, minerals, and all other phytonutrients are present. Even if their content is small, when all the natural terpenes are present in the CBD oil, this is Full Spectrum. When you use a full-spectrum CBD oil, your body experiences what Israeli biochemist Dr. Raphael Mechoulam calls the “Entourage Effect.” The “Entourage Effect” is the end result of naturally occurring flavonoids, terpenes, cannabinoids, and fatty acids synergistically interacting. It refers to the beneficial effect of all these compounds working together as opposed to just one or two of these compounds working alone.
3. Broad Spectrum CBD:
It is simply Full Spectrum CBD without the THC. Broad Spectrum CBD is put through an additional extraction process to isolate and remove the THC while preserving the other natural cannabinoids and terpenes. Broad Spectrum CBD lacks THC entirely. With Broad Spectrum CBD, you get the “best of both worlds.” You get the benefits of the “entourage effect” with no failed drug tests or intoxicating effects (being “high”). For those looking for a non-intoxicating experience, this is the right option for you.
What are the benefits of CBD?
According to Dr. Nikola Djordjevic, Medical Advisor, Loud Cloud Health, CBD tends to have a sedative and muscle relaxing effect, as it works by creating homeostasis in your body. As a natural anti-inflammatory, CBD can help alleviate muscle and joint-related pain and anxiety-related symptoms. Ingesting CBD can help take the edge off for someone that suffers from generalized anxiety naturally, allowing them to reduce their reliance on prescription medication that can be oversedating. CBD can also be used by athletes for faster muscle recovery and managing light to moderate muscle pain.
What are the Benefits of CBD Gummies?
As people have become more intrigued by CBD’s beneficial properties, CBD gummies, in particular, have gained the interest of people wanting to experience CBD and help manage a host of ailments in a fun and convenient way. CBD gummies are a great way to get your daily dose of CBD. They offer an incredible way to get “your” right amount of CBD, and they taste great. CBD gummies usually contain a small serving size of 10mg-25mg of CBD per gummy. Romas, from GoGreen Hemp, explains to Healthroid.
“The release of CBD from the CBD gummies tends to be slower than the release of other CBD products. Because of this, you will find that a higher dose of CBD might be needed when using gummies. If you don’t feel any effects from a CBD gummy within 30 minutes to an hour, try eating an organic fruit to turn on digestion and absorption in your gut. CBD gummies need to be broken down by your digestive system before they can take effect. Once they have been digested, the CBD is absorbed via the lining of your digestive tract where it enters the bloodstream. As CBD gummies take effect, it will last for up to 4 hours depending on the strength. The average CBD gummy dosage involves taking 1-3 gummies (10mg each) daily”, Romas added.
How to Choose Best CBD Gummies?
In its context, Romas says, “When it comes to CBD gummies there are three attributes that ALWAYS have to be taken into account.” Which are as follows:
- Source of the hemp – You want to ensure that the hemp is being grown and extracted in the USA. Hemp grown overseas is oftentimes exposed to pesticides and other harsh, heavy metal contaminants in the soil. These harmful substances do not belong anywhere near your CBD products.
- Infused – Many gummies in the industry are not infused; instead, they are dipped, sprayed, or coated. Yes, this does reduce the cost, however, at the users’ expense. When you purchase infused CBD edibles, you know that each and every time, you are getting a consistent CBD dosage.
- Third-Party Laboratory Tested– Last, but most certainly not least, you always want to make sure your CBD products are third-party laboratory tested for both potency and purity to ensure what is on the label is what is in the bottle.
Apart from this, according to Stephanie, to choose the best CBD gummies, you should also keep in mind the following:
- Flavors: Artificial? Natural? Fruity? Sour? Find gummies that fit your taste.
- Quality of the products: All brands and products don’t have the same level of quality. Is the product organic? Are the flavors natural or artificial? What is the purity of CBD contained in the gummies? To find the best CBD gummies, it is important to check how they are made.
- Potency: From gummies with 10mg CBD that are perfect for new cannabis users to 1000mg better for connoisseurs, the best CBD gummies are the one that fits your consumption habits. Don’t go for high potency gummies if you are not used to it.
- Effects & benefits: Some CBD gummies will be made with Indica, other with Sativa strains. It is important to know what kind of benefits you are looking for when you eat CBD gummies because these strains won’t have the same effects. Indica, for example, will be great to relax, reduce stress and insomnia, while Sativa is better if you feel tired and need a boost of energy.
List of Some Best CBD Gummies:
According to Jonas Urbonas, a cannabis enthusiast & activist, owner and founder of Sativum, here are some best CBD gummy choices in the CBD industry right now:
- Charlotte’s Web (These plant-powered CBD gummies are flavored with natural juices, delivering botanical goodness you can taste.)
- Cbdfx (These CBD gummies are derived from hemp plants grown organically at their state-of-the-art partner farms in the USA. )
- Greenroads (Green Roads is proud to offer some of the best-tasting CBD gummies and CBD chocolate on the market.)
CBD Gummies You Should Try:
Other than these, you can also try the following CBD gummies: